Thursday 24 July 2014

Make That Call Count

Yesterday I hung up on a salesperson who called me.  

I didn’t even find out what they wanted to sell or if they wanted something else from me.  I didn’t give them the chance.  They launched into what sounded like a prepared script, which used the words “Our company” (and then named the company) three times in the first minute.

The caller made several critical mistakes:
  • They didn’t do any research on their target to find out if I was interested in their service (whatever it was);
  • They didn’t check if this was a good time to call (and that I would therefore be receptive);
  • They made no attempt to establish a relationship;
  • They made the call about their company rather than about mine.
All this became clear within the first 30 seconds of the call.  I could barely get them to repeat who they were or the name of their company before they launched into their speech.

So down went the phone.  After all, why should I let someone take time out of my life, which I’ll never get back?  Better not to waste their time listening to an interminable sales speech only to then say “Sorry, I’m not interested.”  Better to hang up and let them get on to the next “target”.

What could they have done better?  Here are some suggestions:
  • Research your intended target - there’s usually some kind of information on the internet - can they use your service?
  • When making contact, check if this is a good time to call (and that the person receiving the call will therefore be more receptive);
  • Establish a relationship - ask questions about the target company and its problems based on whatever information you’ve gathered; 
  • Make the call about the company you’re calling rather than about yours.
Of course, this takes time, and the person you’re calling may not have much.  Your goal is to get them to allow you to send them some more information or (better) to secure a face-to-face meeting.  You then terminate the call having established a positive relationship and having opened the door a little more.



I have spent more than half my life delivering change in different world markets from the most developed to “emerging” economies. With more than 20 years in the world financial services industry running different service, operations and lending businesses, I started my own Performance Management Consultancy to offer solutions for improving performance, productivity and risk management.  I work with individuals, small businesses, charities, quoted companies and academic institutions across the world. An international speaker, trainer, author and fund-raiser, I can be contacted by email . My website provides a full picture of my portfolio of services.  For strategic questions that you should be asking yourself, follow me at @wkm610.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home