Wednesday 25 November 2015

When You Can't Help...

There are rare occasions when, despite the best will in the world, you won't be able to help a customer.  How you handle this makes the difference between keeping their loyalty and seeing your business’ name in print for the wrong reasons.

I recently had an experience with the supplier of an app that I had downloaded from the iTunes Store.  The app had been updated and I wanted to update my version.  For some reason, it wouldn't update, so I contacted the developer whose response was, “you know it’s best you contact iTunes Customer Services, they will advise.”

I wasn’t impressed.  I had paid for the app, and felt that I had been “fobbed off”.  After a short correspondence with the developer (during which my emails seemed to be forwarded progressively “up the line”) I finally received a response that made sense. 

The issue was, the developer, whilst absolutely in the right, failed to explain why this wasn’t their problem.  I may have been handled by an inexperienced member of the support team, but that is the developer’s problem, not mine.

As I stood my ground, I finally received a sensible answer.  How many customers will do this, though?  Most of them will walk away and post a bad review of your business because of the way in which they were handled.

Having worked in customer service, I’ve experienced all too often the frustration of being the one trying to explain to an irate customer why we simply can’t help.  The reasons are many:  the law, the customer’s own actions, lack of technology, or others.  Our natural instinct is to help; no one gets up in the morning wondering “How can I ruin someone’s day today?”   Luckily, these occasions are rare, but the sense of helplessness one feels is overwhelming. 

The skill is in knowing how to explain the situation and being able to suggest at least a partial solution.  This needs knowledge, diplomacy and a highly-tuned sense of interpersonal dynamics.  It’s something most of us acquire as we grow in experience, although some people seem to be “better” at it than others. 

What I would recommend is that people who face customers are trained, have a sense of what the customer is going through and an appreciation of the impact of any answer they give.  Finally, these “impossible” situations might have to be referred to someone more experienced than left to junior staff.



I have spent more than half my life delivering change in different world markets from the most developed to “emerging” economies. With more than 20 years in international financial services around the world  running different operations and lending businesses, I started my own Consultancy to offer solutions for improving performance, productivity and risk management.  I work with individuals, small businesses, charities, quoted companies and academic institutions across the world. An international speaker, trainer, author and fund-raiser, I can be contacted by email . My website provides a full picture of my portfolio of services.  For strategic questions that you should be asking yourself, follow me at @wkm610.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home