Monday 29 August 2022

Did We Answer the Question?

I’ve often encountered cases where an organisation didn’t actually answer my question.  

This most often happens where either the question is complex (involving several parts), or where several questions are asked at the same time.

 

In both cases, where is the problem?  We could say that the person asking the question needs to ensure that it is as well put as possible (the art of communication).  Alternatively, one could put the onus on the organisation to make sure that they understand the question (“good customer service”) or that (in the case of several questions at once) they ensure that they’ve responded to all questions or parts of the question.

 

My personal view is that, if a customer comes to me with a question about my organisation, its products or services, it’s up to me to ensure that I understand the whole question before responding.  In the long term, this saves more time, although when faced with an upset customer, the understandable temptation is to provide an answer as quickly as possible to bring the matter (and irritation) to a swift end.

 

The best course of action I’ve found is to take notes (whether face-to-face or on the phone) and repeat back the issues noted to ensure I’ve understood them all.  Even if the customer is angry, the fact that one is listening can start to calm them down.  When they see that we’ve understood the issue or issues involved, we can then proceed to resolve them as painlessly (for the customer) as possible.  

 

If the question comes in by email/letter, we still have to make sure we understand it and then respond to each part.  


So the process is:

  1. Listen to the question being asked
  2. Note down relevant issues/facts
  3. Repeat back to customer
  4. Advise action that will be taken and by when
  5. Ask if this meets the customer's needs/answered their question



I’ve spent more than half my life delivering change in different world markets from the most developed to “emerging” economies. With a wealth of international experience in international financial services around the world running different operations and lending businesses, I started my own Consultancy to provide solutions for improving performance, productivity and risk management.  I work with individuals, small businesses, charities, quoted companies and academic institutions across the world. An international speaker, trainer, author and fund-raiser, I can be contacted by email. My website provides a full picture of my portfolio of services.  For strategic questions that you should be asking yourself, follow me at @wkm610.

 

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home