Tuesday 24 January 2023

Internet Down!

Just recently, we experienced downtime in the office Internet supply. 

We rely on the internet these days on the internet for so much: we store files in the cloud, we send and receive email, we use the internet for research, we use it to file returns and reports to various corporate and regulatory authorities. In other words, the internet is another utility which we all take for granted.

But what do we do when it goes down? If it’s only for a few minutes, it doesn’t matter, we can go and get a coffee or visit the washroom, or some such minor task. If, however, as in this case, it lasts several hours then what?


I found it was an excellent time to work off-line. I reviewed my planning, I made phone calls, I organised my office and myself. in other words, I caught up with all the little tasks that are often neglected thanks to the “distraction” of the net.


Imagine you lost internet for, say, two hours. What would you do? Would would you use it as an excuse to goof off? Or would you look for other profitable ways to fill the time? 


Losing internet isn’t the end of the world, although judging from the reaction of some, it might as well be. If a great deal of our work or business is conducted online, then yes, it can be frustrating and we may even risk losing business as a result.  Usually though, a quick call to the client/supplier/buyer explaining what’s happened is enough to resolve the issue.


If, however, we’re able to find other ways to use that downtime gainfully then, perhaps internet outages are no bad thing. They give us the time to “reset“ ourselves and our priorities.


In a world where, thanks to the internet, more and more is at our fingertips and we’re bombarded with ever increasing amounts of information,“time out” is surely no bad thing?



I’ve spent more than half my life delivering change in different world markets from the most developed to “emerging” economies. With a wealth of international experience in international financial services around the world running different operations and lending businesses, I started my own Consultancy to provide solutions for improving performance, productivity and risk management.  I work with individuals, small businesses, charities, quoted companies and academic institutions across the world. An international speaker, trainer, author and fund-raiser, I can be contacted by email. My website provides a full picture of my portfolio of services.  For strategic questions that you should be asking yourself, follow me at @wkm610.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home