Tuesday 21 November 2023

Who's "Flexible"?

A report in the BBC news in early September, commented that, whilst some employers continue to remain flexible about coming back to the office, others are taking a firmer line.

 

According to one survey from Kastle systems, which measured entry swipes at office buildings, average workplace occupancy among 41,000 businesses in the US was around 50% by July 2023.  Here was an opportunity to cut down on rented office space.  Unfortunately, those who owned their building found themselves with empty offices and empty floors (opportunity to rent out to others).

 

The result was that some businesses are getting tougher, expecting employees to attend work.  However, the strength of this demand seems to vary; whilst some are simply requiring people to be back at work with no exceptions, others are asking them to attend partially, or in what one might describe as a hybrid manner where they work from home some days and in the office on the others. 

 

Ironically, Zoom, the company that became synonymous with the work from home (WFH) ethic thanks to its video conferencing platform, is one of those now requiring its staff to adopt hybrid working. 

 

Personally, I have no problem with working in the office.  It enables me to work on my own when I need to (I am fortunate enough to have my own office space), but also, I can chat with colleagues and bounce ideas off them. (assuming they’re available).  The work from home era imposed by COVID began to pall after a while, and I found myself missing the (for me) short journey into work and the personal interaction with my colleagues.  It also provided a change of scenery from the four walls of my living room-cum-workspace as well as to separate work from “life”.  

 

My own view is that it makes sense to adopt hybrid working where possible.  I do, however, know people who, being introvert, preferred the isolation of working from home and managing in their own way.  How we deal with these workers in future will be very much up to employers.  Some have work of such a nature that working remotely is exactly what they encourage (my son’s employer is one).  What matters is productivity. 

 

Others, however, whose business involves more “face time“ with both workers and customers will find it necessary to require at least some participation on site in the office.

 

The “new normal” so trumpeted by many after the COVID pandemic has run its course and continues to be a “movable feast”.  Employers will need to maintain a flexible attitude (and, if necessary, reduce the amount of office space the rent or own) if they are to survive.



I’ve spent more than half my life delivering change in different world markets from the most developed to “emerging” economies. With a wealth of international experience in international financial services around the world running different operations and lending businesses, I started my own Consultancy to provide solutions for improving performance, productivity and risk management.  I work with individuals, small businesses, charities, quoted companies and academic institutions across the world. An international speaker, trainer, author and fund-raiser, I can be contacted by email. My website  provides a full picture of my portfolio of services.   

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home