Monday 29 July 2024

Email and Action

One of the phenomena which I’m sure we’ve all experienced is all that email we receive that requires an action, often without specifically stating that it requires an action.

I had a case where someone emailed me that they were finalising posters and to let them know if I felt any amendments were required.  I looked at the posters, felt they were okay, and as I did not feel that any amendments were required, I kept silent.

 

The next thing I heard, my colleague had received a message asking if it was okay to go to print.

 

To be fair, I currently work in a market where English isn’t the first language of many.  However, it did remind me that we need to be absolutely clear:

 

What action is required.

By whom and by when.

How that action is to be taken. 

 

As I said before, where English may not be the first language of the person emailing, there’s some room for leeway.  However, most of us are taught at “management training courses” that it’s vital to ensure that communication with others is clear.  In this case I received a message that said “Sharing with you the draft poster for your review.  Our team is finalising the posters and plan to share on our social media by this weekend.  Should you need any amendment, feel free to let us know.” My understanding was, “Here’s the poster.  We’re going to share it this weekend unless we hear otherwise from you.” As I didn’t feel that anything else was needed, I didn’t let them know.

 

A corollary to this is to ensure that, if we send an email that requires action to multiple recipients, we make it clear who is to take action and by when.

 

Have you ever encountered an instance where a response to a request for action that you sent has suggested that you could have made things clearer?  I certainly have and we live and learn with each.



I’ve spent more than half my life delivering change in different world markets from the most developed to “emerging” economies. With a wealth of international experience in international financial services around the world running different operations and lending businesses, I started my own Consultancy to provide solutions for improving performance, productivity and risk management.  I work with individuals, small businesses, charities, quoted companies and academic institutions across the world. An international speaker, trainer, author and fund-raiser, I can be contacted by email. My website  provides a full picture of my portfolio of services.  

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home