Wednesday, 26 August 2026

Not Everyone Has Access…

… all of the time!

 

I’m talking about being able to access the internet, whether through a 5G connection or Wi-Fi.

 

Has anyone else noticed how many organisations now development apps that rely on A 24/7 internet connection?

 

It’s great whilst it works but, as the “automation paradox” tells us, the more we rely on technology, the more we struggle when it fails.

 

Another problem is that some of the mobile banking apps that I’ve encountered require authentication through a phone call to the user’s mobile.  When that user is travelling and using a different country’s SIM for service in that country, it’s highly unlikely that they’ll be available on the phone number linked to their “home SIM”.  Unfortunately, some developers don’t seem to consider this a possibility…

 

There’s no doubt that the internet has significantly changed and improved our lives.  We can access information, services, financial transactions all with the press of a button or the tap of an icon.  What I find myself wondering, though, is whether the developers consider that there may be instances where internet won’t be available either because of blackouts, poor mobile service or other conditions.

 

It’s not going to stop developers developing apps that take advantage of the power of the internet. Hopefully, though, they’ve worked out that if anyone has a smart phone on which they can download the app, they will have internet access at least some of the time.

 

Where we as businesses rely on an “app” or internet connection to service our customers, should we be considering what happens when they can’t access our services?  If so, what can we do in those (hopefully rare) cases?



I deliver change in markets ranging from the most developed to “emerging” economies. With a wealth of international experience in international financial services around the world running different operations and lending businesses, I started my own Consultancy to provide solutions for improving performance, productivity and risk management.  I work with individuals, small businesses, charities, quoted companies and academic institutions across the world. An international speaker, trainer, author and fund-raiser, I can be contacted by email

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home