“The Wand Chooses the Wizard”
Those of you who’ve seen the “Harry Potter” films may remember this phrase from “Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone” – the first film in the series - when Harry visits Olivander’s to choose his first wand.
What struck me in both the book and film about this scene was how Mr. Olivander patiently allowed and even made Harry try out different wands to find out which would be most suited to him. Olivander was clearly a master of his craft and well understood the importance of “getting it right first time”.
Some years ago, I decided it was time to ditch the faithful Gillette Mach 3 razor I’d been using for over 10 years in favour of something that looked and felt “nicer”. There was nothing wrong with the Gillette handle, it was “just time” …
I ended up visiting a well-known London barber’s just off Jermyn Street. It has a quaint, “old-fashioned” front and one enters through a door inset to the right. Their wares are laid out on what look like mahogany shelves and under the glass-topped counter. The whole place reeks of “atmosphere” and the light aroma of men’s cologne. To the side is the barber shop.
I met the redoubtable Luis who patiently guided me through choosing the appropriate razor handle (that could take a Mach 3 razor cartridge!), shaving cream, shaving brush and shaving stand to hold brush and razor when not in use. Luis’ knowledge of the shaving products there was encyclopaedic, to say the least. His patience as I held and waved different razor handles around can only be described as “exemplary” and he was always willing to explain something in more detail, or to offer an honest opinion (rather than what he thought I wanted to hear!) as to the suitability or not of a product.
In the end, I walked out of the store somewhat poorer financially, but far richer in knowledge, a newly acquired shaving set and a desire to return to that store in the future (which I have, on several occasions). I’ve also sent my sone there and he was just as impressed by Luis.
In a world of fast everything, here was peace and calm, patience and understanding of the decision being taken. Here they not only sold you a product (or products), but they also sold trust and an experience. I now look forward to my morning shave and feel guilty if I “rush it”.
How many of us as business leaders strive to create that bond of knowledge and trust with our clients? How many of those “come back for more”?
I deliver change in markets ranging from the most developed to “emerging” economies. With a wealth of international experience in international financial services around the world running different operations and lending businesses, I started my own Consultancy to provide solutions for improving performance, productivity and risk management. I work with individuals, small businesses, charities, quoted companies and academic institutions across the world. An international speaker, trainer, author and fund-raiser, I can be contacted by email.
Labels: Customer Care, Selling

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home