Wednesday 15 April 2015

The Meaning Of Cards

What does it mean when you give people your business card or they give you theirs?  You see it happen at networking events, social functions and other gatherings.

Scenario: afterwards, you find your email “Inbox” inundated with newsletters, product adverts or other inconsequential traffic.  You spend the next hour “unsubscribing”. 

In the drive to grow business, people often email anyone whose card they obtain.  They don’t realise that this is both self-destructive and that it also has potentially wider “ripple effects”.  Not only do you irritate a potential customer by sending unneeded “junk”, you also run the risk that they will mention you or your business in uncomplimentary terms to others. 

So what does it mean when you give or receive someone else’s card? 

First: many exchanges happen at functions out of simple courtesy.  You give me your card; I give you mine (unless I’ve run out).  It doesn’t mean that you or I become a potential target for mailings.

Second: it’s not necessarily an invitation to contact unless the giver specifically says so.  “Call me and we’ll do lunch”, “Send me your product brochure - we’re looking for …” or some other such phrase is the clue here.

Third: it’s not a request to add the giver to your database.  It may make your “contact activity” for the month look good, but a huge database of useless leads won’t benefit anyone.

Fourth: it’s not an invitation to send unwanted “newsletters” or adverts for your product. By all means, ask if they’d like a copy of your newsletter/product advertisements if you think they’ll be interested. 

Fifth: if it was given with a request to “contact me”, do it.  I’ve given my card to people whose services I needed.  No follow up, despite the invitation.  They won’t get my business; I won’t recommend them; if that person comes up in conversation I’ll tell people (who ask) about their failure to follow up.  Finally, if they contact me in the future for business, I won’t be going with them as I’ll already have seen how good they are at follow-ups.

Unfortunately, it looks from the above as though you’re caught in a difficult position when you get someone else’s business card.  Here’s how to handle it:

Ask if you may contact them if you think you can help them:

Ask if they’d like you to send some material.  If they agree, follow up within 2 business days.  If you get no response, follow-up once more, then leave it.  They’ll respect you more, and you won’t waste time on unproductive leads.  And who knows, six months later they may contact you out of the blue when they definitely need you?

Write to them and just say “Nice to meet you”:

Nothing else.  They’ll remember you for the right reasons.

Finally, if someone who gave you their card did you a favour (e.g. introduced you to someone else at the same event), write and thank them.  That’s professional courtesy and they’ll recommend you to others as well.


 I have spent more than half my life delivering change in different world markets from the most developed to “emerging” economies. With more than 20 years in international financial services around the world  running different operations and lending businesses, I started my own Consultancy to offer solutions for improving performance, productivity and risk management.  I work with individuals, small businesses, charities, quoted companies and academic institutions across the world. An international speaker, trainer, author and fund-raiser, I can be contacted by email . My website provides a full picture of my portfolio of services.  For strategic questions that you should be asking yourself, follow me at @wkm610.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home