Wednesday 22 March 2017

I'm "Fine"

Most of us are used to getting onto the workplace in the morning and asking ((and being asked) “how are you?”.  How often do we mean this?  Admit it, we’re
just doing it for politeness.

Our usual response is “fine”, which Martin and Elizabeth of Leadership Q&A jokingly translated as meaning

Fairly (or any other “F”-word you care to use)
Insecure
Neurotic
Emotional

In other words, we may be feeling a number of emotions, one of which might be the “fine” with which we answer.

“Fine” is a “neutral” or “nothing” word, a disinterested and courteous response to what we perceive as a disinterested and courteous question - part of the “morning ritual” we go through when we get to the office.

So when we, as leaders, ask people “How are you?” or “How are you today?” we need first to ask ourselves “Am I asking this because I’m genuinely interested in my co-worker’s well being or am I doing it because I’m being polite?” 

If it’s for politeness, we're wasting our time and (more importantly) theirs.

I remember one coach who always used to ask me, “So how’s William today?”, speaking to me as though we were talking about someone else.  When I asked him why he didn't say “you”, he explained that some people find it easier to answer if the question is phrased this way.  Fair enough, but I had to explain that I found it disingenuous and patronising, as though he were talking to a small child and risked being perceived (by me, at any rate) as insincere.

Martin and Elizabeth suggest 4 ways of getting a meaningful answer:

1.     Be Focused On The Answer:
  • Listen    
  •  Show we’re genuinely interested

2.     Don’t Let Them Get Away With Just “Fine”:
  • ·      Ask an additional question (e.g. “What does ‘fine’ mean?”)
  • ·      Probe a bit deeper
  • ·      This may be disconcerting at first for both us and the co-worker, so be careful and try to avoid accusations of giving them the “Third Degree”.

3.     Think About How They Answered The Last Time We Asked:
  • ·      Did they say “Really great”? and not just “Fine”?  If so, why have things changed?
  • ·      It shows that:
o   We’re really listening
o   We’re genuinely interested


4.     Ban Using The Answer “Fine”
  • ·      Make a joke of it - share the meaning of “Fine” above!

It’ll take a while, but maybe there might be some pleasant surprises in store.


I have spent more than half my life delivering change in different world markets from the most developed to “emerging” economies. With more than 20 years in international financial services around the world  running different operations and lending businesses, I started my own Consultancy to provide solutions for improving performance, productivity and risk management.  I work with individuals, small businesses, charities, quoted companies and academic institutions across the world. An international speaker, trainer, author and fund-raiser, I can be contacted by email . My website provides a full picture of my portfolio of services.  For strategic questions that you should be asking yourself, follow me at @wkm610.


Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home