Wednesday 21 February 2018

It's How You Handle It



I recently experienced a case of “misunderstanding” where I thought I was buying one product, but the other party was under a different impression.  The result was that I ended up paying for a product I didn't want and then being charged extra for the service that I actually wanted in the first place. 

My decision was to cut my losses on the basis that if the other side couldn't understand my needs and didn’t check, then I shouldn’t deal with them. The transaction was done on what the service provider called their “Live Chat’ tool and, looking back at the script, it seemed clear to me that I was asking for one thing, but got another.

So how could both sides have handled it better…
  • Could I have been clearer in my writing (especially as I didn't know how well the other party understood “my English”? 
  • Should the service provider have double-checked their understanding and told me what I was getting so that there was no potential for misunderstanding or ambiguity?
  • It’s one of those situations where, on looking back, one can only learn from it, especially that we can never waste too much time:
  • Checking that we have understood what’s going on;
  • Checking that the other person has really understood what’s going on.
When someone says, “I didn't understand,” then whose problem is it?  Ours for not checking their understanding or theirs for not doing so?

We’re normally in such a hurry to “get things done” that we tend to assume that the other person understands what we need.  In a situation where we’re talking to someone of the same age, background, culture, educational and social level that may be reasonable, but how often in our globalised business world is this really likely to happen?  When I call my credit card “Hotline”, I can be speaking to an operator in Mumbai or Manila, depending on the time of day.

How we handle things is up to us.  The better we learn and the better we do this, the more likely we’ll succeed in our endeavours.

I have spent more than half my life delivering change in different world markets from the most developed to “emerging” economies. With more than 20 years in international financial services around the world  running different operations and lending businesses, I started my own Consultancy to provide solutions for improving performance, productivity and risk management.  I work with individuals, small businesses, charities, quoted companies and academic institutions across the world. An international speaker, trainer, author and fund-raiser, I can be contacted by email . My website provides a full picture of my portfolio of services.  For strategic questions that you should be asking yourself, follow me at @wkm610.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home