Monday 27 November 2017

Whatever Works for You

I was leading a Time Management workshop last week and we were discussing the various tools people use.  One delegate asked me what I’d recommend and my answer was “Whatever works for you.”

The key is whatever works.  We’re all different, have different ways of doing things, processing information, making decisions, so why should managing time be any different?

Over 25 years, I’ve seen and tried a number of techniques from simple “To Do Lists” to Franklin-Covey to Microsoft Outlook to bullet journaling.  All have their place and work well for different individuals.

Some have been more trouble (to me) than they’re worth.  Others “came and went” – I could take them or leave them and in some cases I left them as I didn't see that they were adding any real value to me.

Just as some people prefer one brand of tool over another, or some athletes “swear by” a particular brand of clothing or equipment, the same applies to time management techniques and tools.  The only thing we can do is try them and see what they do for us.  If we see a measurable improvement for comparatively little effort, it’s worth continuing to use them.

Find out what works for you and use it.  If, after a while (or several years) it’s no longer working as well (or at all), drop it.  Just like clothing and equipment can wear out, so can time management techniques, especially in our modern world where the pace of change only seems to be increasing.



I have spent more than half my life delivering change in different world markets from the most developed to “emerging” economies. With more than 20 years in international financial services around the world  running different operations and lending businesses, I started my own Consultancy to provide solutions for improving performance, productivity and risk management.  I work with individuals, small businesses, charities, quoted companies and academic institutions across the world. An international speaker, trainer, author and fund-raiser, I can be contacted by email . My website provides a full picture of my portfolio of services.  For strategic questions that you should be asking yourself, follow me at @wkm610.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home