Tuesday 29 August 2017

It's All About "Attitude"

I visited a government department today to follow up on an outstanding issue (we won't say what it was to “protect the innocent”), but basically, I needed a certain set of documents in order to progress something and only those people could issue.  I started things in the middle of the month, so here we are almost at the end.

What was interesting was the different attitudes I encountered from the two staff who saw me.  One was older and more experienced in terms of “time served”.  The other was younger. 

The first kept pointing to a calendar, counting the number of days lapsed since I had initiated this matter and not really wanting to commit to a firm time.  The younger one simply asked me for my contact number and said she’d check and give me a call if things were ready.

Both did their jobs, and were very pleasant, but which would you say left a better impression?  The one who “played by the rules”, or the one who took my number?

Was one “set in her ways”, whilst the other was a “modern thinker”?  Who’s to say. 

Here’s the fun part – I know that, in fact, I shouldn't have gone until at least tomorrow.  However, miracles do occasionally happen in the “government machine” and I’ve had pleasant surprises before.  I knew I was taking a risk, I’m not going out of my way to detour to the department concerned, so I’m fairly relaxed about things.

My thoughts on this were simply that two different people displayed two very different attitudes and I know which one left me feeling better.  I made me ask, what attitude am I showing others, and is it helping me and my business to achieve our objectives?


I have spent more than half my life delivering change in different world markets from the most developed to “emerging” economies. With more than 20 years in international financial services around the world  running different operations and lending businesses, I started my own Consultancy to provide solutions for improving performance, productivity and risk management.  I work with individuals, small businesses, charities, quoted companies and academic institutions across the world. An international speaker, trainer, author and fund-raiser, I can be contacted by email . My website provides a full picture of my portfolio of services.  For strategic questions that you should be asking yourself, follow me at @wkm610.


Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home