Thursday 1 June 2017

A Feather In (My) Cap

I heard the owner of a small business make this comment some time ago after winning a particular piece of business.  I’ve been wondering why it bothered me.  After all, he’d just won a new contract that looked as though it would pay well, so what was wrong?

When it comes to small businesses, the owners are usually the salespeople for their business.  They know their market, understand the customers and how to appeal to them.  They’re usually the ones to go out and get the sales.

Then it came to me…

Like many salespeople, business owners can forget that, once they clinch the sale, someone else makes things work.  This is where the reputation of the business is won or lost: not by slick sales, but by people making sure that customer needs are met and exceeded.  One of the reasons behind the winning of the new business that I mentioned above was the reputation that the company had built for its quality of service.  The business owner set the standards (and, occasionally, enforced them), but it was the team that did the job that built its reputation.

We can forget, as business owners, that our success depends on the hard work and loyalty of others.  As some of us may have heard, ‘There’s no “I” in team’.  If the owner had said, “It’s a feather on our cap.” That would probably have made more sense.   

We need to remember the team and the part that they play in our business’ success.  How we talk about our business tells our customers more about us as a person than we may realise.


I have spent more than half my life delivering change in different world markets from the most developed to “emerging” economies. With more than 20 years in international financial services around the world  running different operations and lending businesses, I started my own Consultancy to provide solutions for improving performance, productivity and risk management.  I work with individuals, small businesses, charities, quoted companies and academic institutions across the world. An international speaker, trainer, author and fund-raiser, I can be contacted by email . My website provides a full picture of my portfolio of services.  For strategic questions that you should be asking yourself, follow me at @wkm610.


Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home