Tuesday 11 July 2017

Different Strokes Suit Different Folks

I’ve been in communication with Apple over an issue I have with what they call “Two-Factor Authentication”.  The issue itself isn’t important here, what interests me more is how Apple choose to communicate with customers.

In this case, Apple communicate by phone (the idea presumably being that they solve your issue for you immediately).  This is great – provided that (a) there’s a phone number for your region (and (b) that you’re happy to spend a long time on the phone…

Not all of us are like that or actually need our issue sorted right away.  We’re happy to send an email describing the problem and waiting for the recipient to sort it out.  I think it’s great that Apple want to sort us out personally, and I’m sure that in at least 95% of cases, they can.  In my case, there wasn’t a simple fix, and I was asked to stay on the line whilst they referred to a supervisor.  I had already been on the phone for 24 minutes at this stage and asked if they could just email me a response once they had spoken to the supervisor but was told that they couldn’t escalate if I wasn’t on the phone…

I had already spent 24 minutes of my time on the phone and now needed to stay on?  They had all the information they needed, so why was it necessary to keep me “hanging on the telephone”?  If they’d offered to call me back, that would have been fine, but I saw no reason to wait.  My view was that I’d done my duty by reporting the problem, it was up to Apple to fix it and I wasn’t in a tearing hurry, so they could take their time to work out a quality solution.  Surely this is the stuff dreams are made of?  A cooperative customer saying, “take your (not my) time to find a solution and get back to me when you have”?

We have a choice of communication method when dealing with problems.  In order of speed, I’d rank them as:
  • Face to face meeting
  • Phone call
  • Email/company website feedback form
  • Letter sent through post

The last two (email and letter) are for where time isn’t critical (especially letter) and are what are known as “asynchronous communication” (i.e. when you write the email/letter, it isn't read at the same time by the recipient).  Face to face meetings are fine if the person can meet straight away and you're in their office/store or work place, but most of us will use a phone call for highly urgent matters and email/company website feedback form for the rest. 

The advantage of having at least one “time sensitive” and one not-so time sensitive method of communication is that it helps to prioritise.  If we get a phone call, it would be fair to assume the matter’s urgent (to the other party, at least).    This doesn’t mean that we ignore an email or letter – both are important and should be handled professionally, but a phone calls’ “here and now”.

In short, if I want to report a problem and have it looked at over time and am not too worried about how quickly the other side gets back to me, I’ll use email.  If it’s urgent, I use the phone.

It’s great to see businesses insist on only using the phone but why not give your customers the choice?  It could save time and money.



I have spent more than half my life delivering change in different world markets from the most developed to “emerging” economies. With more than 20 years in international financial services around the world  running different operations and lending businesses, I started my own Consultancy to provide solutions for improving performance, productivity and risk management.  I work with individuals, small businesses, charities, quoted companies and academic institutions across the world. An international speaker, trainer, author and fund-raiser, I can be contacted by email . My website provides a full picture of my portfolio of services.  For strategic questions that you should be asking yourself, follow me at @wkm610.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home