Thursday 27 July 2017

Mind Your Language!

I’m not talking about words here, but behaviour.  I have a client whose offices allow for most staff to have their own office.  In my opinion, this is great as it means people have the privacy to concentrate in peace and are therefore more productive.

What’s more interesting is the way that people act in their “caves”.  Most of them (even the MD) leave the door open, but there’s one I’ve noticed who goes onto his office, closes the blinds and the door.  I know he’s busy and needs to concentrate, but it’s not the case that there’s a constant queue of people to see him. 

What he’s saying is, “Stay away...”

I know he’s more of an introvert, but it’s interesting that, previously, he left his door open until he moved offices.  People now feel they’re intruding if they need to see him and have to knock on his door. 

He could, of course, be saying that he’s busy and can't be disturbed (what a closed door usually means).  However, when the door’s closed all the time, that sends a message.

Another person I know always keeps his door closed, but that’s the way he’s always been and he was a senior military officer before who was clearly used to “that system”.  Everyone just “knows” they can knock and go in to see him.

We’re not always aware of what we might be signalling to others by our actions, or that our behaviour can be interpreted in different ways by others depending on the situation, the mood they're in, their upbringing and any other number of factors.  What might seem “normal” to one person could be deeply offensive to another.

Awareness is the key.  I don't advocate tiptoeing around other people – we are who we are, but an understanding and awareness of how behaviour impacts on others as well as how their actions impact us is one of the most interesting studies one can do!


I have spent more than half my life delivering change in different world markets from the most developed to “emerging” economies. With more than 20 years in international financial services around the world  running different operations and lending businesses, I started my own Consultancy to provide solutions for improving performance, productivity and risk management.  I work with individuals, small businesses, charities, quoted companies and academic institutions across the world. An international speaker, trainer, author and fund-raiser, I can be contacted by email . My website provides a full picture of my portfolio of services.  For strategic questions that you should be asking yourself, follow me at @wkm610.


Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home