Saturday 18 August 2018

It’s Not the Right Time…

“To discuss this”, “to plan right now”, “to improve my fitness.” We follow up with something like “but it’s on my radar” or “I’ll look into it,” “I’ll do it tomorrow/next week,” – anything to stave off the moment of having to do something outside what we’re comfortable with right now.

One thing I’ve noticed about entrepreneurs is that, when they want to do something, they’ll do it, even if they’re not totally prepared.  They “wing it” as they go along, trusting in their knowledge and skills to resolve issues along the way.  They know there’s no such thing as “the perfect plan”.

“I don’t have time” or “It’s not the right time yet” are what we say when we want to procrastinate or because we genuinely believe that we need more information or other inputs before taking decisive action.  It sounds good – we’re so busy that we can’t break off from our valuable activity just now because that’s more important.

We do have genuine reasons: sorting out an “urgent and important problem” (“firefighting”), or a deadline that is due.  These are fine and are usually short-lived.  It’s when we just continually seem to think the time’s not “right” or that “there’s no time” that we have to ask about priorities.  I have the same answer every time someone tells me that “it’s not the right time”: “Tell me when the time is right and I'll schedule it.”  Some try to wriggle out and say “I’ll let you know” so I ask for a date and a time in the future.  If they don't want to commit, move on.  When they ask why it wasn’t done, explain.

Equally, when people say “I don't have the time,” they’re mistaken.  They have the same as the rest of us (24 hours/day, 7 days/week).   Millionaires don't have more time than the rest of us; more money, yes but more time?  No.   

The point is, again, that it’s never the perfectly “right” time to do something.  Yes, there are temporary obstacles and others may arise along the way, and it’s OK to gather as much information as we can, but in the end we have to think like an entrepreneur and “go for it”.  

I have spent more than half my life delivering change in different world markets from the most developed to “emerging” economies. With more than 20 years in international financial services around the world  running different operations and lending businesses, I started my own Consultancy to provide solutions for improving performance, productivity and risk management.  I work with individuals, small businesses, charities, quoted companies and academic institutions across the world. An international speaker, trainer, author and fund-raiser, I can be contacted by email. My websiteprovides a full picture of my portfolio of services.  For strategic questions that you should be asking yourself, follow me at @wkm610.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home