Thursday 29 April 2021

When It All Comes Together

It seems to be a sad fact that most of us will encounter mediocre (at best) service unless we’re able to afford those high-class products and services that come with correspondingly high-class service as part of the package.  “You get what you pay for” is the oft-repeated mantra.

 

I recently had one of those “serendipitous” moments when a query I sent was actually turned around promptly, politely and helpfully.  By “helpfully”, I mean that the person handling it used their initiative (or had sufficient authority/experience to do so).   Of course, maybe they didn’t follow “policy”, but who cares if it resulted in a good customer experience?

 

Originally when I approached the business concerned via their “Contact Us” link on their website, I was given the “usual run around”: request for additional information and “stock answers” without moving my case forward.  Finally, I resorted to “tweeting” on their Twitter feed and was given the “magic email address” that resulted in the great experience.  

 

Sad that I had to resort to publicising the issue on Twitter though…

 

The problem I see is that more and more commentators are now advising people to tweet, to get the problem out there in the open where thousands of others may see it and the organisation is forced to do something.

 

What does that say about service or attitudes?  I accept that some organisations have been badly affected by the social distancing rules arising from the coronavirus epidemic, but is this a reason not to at least try?  Even a simple message on a website may help.

 

When I run “Customer Service” or “Customer Experience” workshops, one of my first points is that, if people “got it right first time”, there’d be no need for “Complaints Departments” or “Customer Service” staff.  The fact that we don’t get it right has spawned an entire (and growing) industry based around “Customer Service/Experience”, “Process Analysis”, “Suggestion Boxes”, “Product Training” (sometimes vital, I admit) “Staff of the Month” – the list goes on.  

 

 Isn’t it a sad reflection on life that, when we do encounter that occasion where they “get it right first time”, we are so surprised?

 


I’ve spent more than half my life delivering change in different world markets from the most developed to “emerging” economies. With a wealth of international experience in international financial services around the world running different operations and lending businesses, I started my own Consultancy to provide solutions for improving performance, productivity and risk management.  I work with individuals, small businesses, charities, quoted companies and academic institutions across the world. An international speaker, trainer, author and fund-raiser, I can be contacted by email. My website provides a full picture of my portfolio of services.  For strategic questions that you should be asking yourself, follow me at @wkm610.

 


Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home