Wednesday 31 January 2024

The Power of "The Tube"

I’ve been following with great interest the various videos on YouTube about Apple launching a new iPad Mini (the “7”). 

It all started some months back when I watched a video about why people should buy the iPad Mini 6. There are plenty of good reasons (which I shan’t go into here). However, I then saw more and more of these videos appearing, partly I suppose because YouTube’s algorithms had seen that I had watched one, but was there also an ulterior motive?

 

By this, I mean, was Apple deliberately promoting purchase of the iPad Mini 6 to reduce stocks as it is, according to the “experts” time for an update of this iPad model? if this is so, getting rid of as much unsold stock as possible, makes a lot of sense (and profit!).

 

Rumours now abound as to when (and even if) Apple will indeed update and upgrade its iPad Mini as it is in theory about time - the current model is over 2 years old, after all. The next question becomes then if they do, when will they announce it and when will it start shipping?

 

The rumours have now shifted gear and seem to be more along the lines of “What changes can we expect?” or “What changes we’d like to see”. In other words, people seem to take it as a given that Apple will update the iPad Mini series. 

 

Whatever happens the hype and the interest seem to be increasing. No doubt Apple will be making an announcement in good time, but meantime they’re cleverly building the suspense and interest to their advantage.

 

What this shows for me is the power of social media at its best. By planting a few stories here and there, or “leaking” the odd photo or rumour, one can shape opinion, arouse interest and shape attitudes although a short video. TikTok offers the same but in a 30-second clip. 

 

Just as one can use this to one’s advantage to promote products or services, we need to remember that others can exploit it for the opposite effect: to air a grievance or complain.  

 

For us as business leaders, an awareness of how social media can be used (or, dare I say, abused?) is becoming ever more important in promoting what we do or minimising damage where required.  It’s a “double-edged sword” and we need to bear this in mind even more than ever. 



I’ve spent more than half my life delivering change in different world markets from the most developed to “emerging” economies. With a wealth of international experience in international financial services around the world running different operations and lending businesses, I started my own Consultancy to provide solutions for improving performance, productivity and risk management.  I work with individuals, small businesses, charities, quoted companies and academic institutions across the world. An international speaker, trainer, author and fund-raiser, I can be contacted by email. My website  provides a full picture of my portfolio of services.  

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home