Answering Matters
These days, we’re under more pressure than ever and I suspect that the advent of AI is only going to make things worse!
Most workers, particularly in the “knowledge” industry are under pressure to do more in the same amount of time thanks to so-called “labour saving” methods that are constantly being introduced.
Unfortunately, you can’t pour more into a glass than that glass will hold.
One thing that I’ve noticed is the increasing number of complaints from applicants for jobs, customers emailing suppliers/service providers and others that they aren’t getting responses, let alone in a “timely” manner.
As I said above, people are under more pressure than ever before. In this case, what “gives” is their ability to respond to messages in a “timely” manner (if at all). It’s very possible that a message from one person may quickly get “buried” under the messages that come in after it.
The person handling those messages has only 24 hours in a day to handle those messages. In those same 24 hours, they have to do their “day job” as well, eat, sleep, attend meetings, help children with homework, support elderly relatives - the list is endless.
That said, what’s the solution to the “no answer issue”? Most of the time, my questions, queries and requests aren’t what I’d call “time – sensitive”, meaning that they don’t require an instant response. I don’t need (or want to) make a call every time something pops up. It’s unnecessary, maybe expensive as well if I’m calling overseas, and like as not I’ll get an automated response mechanism or an AI “chatbot” that’s incapable of making the intuitive leaps that are needed when dealing with humans.
How do we feel when we don’t get a response? Basically, that we “don’t matter” or “aren’t important enough” to deserve one.
We remain at the impasse of no response from what are probably “overloaded” workers. Just as the client waiting for a response feels “unimportant”, no doubt the workers tasked with responding feel “pressured”, “undervalued”, “misunderstood”, “unappreciated”.
Statistically speaking, the more a business grows, the more it can expect questions and queries from its customers. Dedicated phone lines and AI chatbots, however, can’t handle the volumes and yet employing “real humans” to deal with them increases costs…
This problem isn’t going to go away soon. We do need to be aware of its potential for reputational damage and lots of business, though, if we are to continue keeping our customers happy and, therefore, coming back for more.
We can start by asking questions such as:
- What are the typical queries we get?
- RR processes set up to handle them in a timely manner?
- What are the obstacles preventing a timely response from going out?
- Are we losing business as a result?
- What are Customer Services and surveys telling us?
I deliver change in markets ranging from the most developed to “emerging” economies. With a wealth of international experience in international financial services around the world running different operations and lending businesses, I started my own Consultancy to provide solutions for improving performance, productivity and risk management. I work with individuals, small businesses, charities, quoted companies and academic institutions across the world. An international speaker, trainer, author and fund-raiser, I can be contacted by email.
Labels: Customer Care, Productivity, Strategy, Teamwork


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home