Wednesday 22 May 2013

Tablet vs Laptop

Some time back, I wrote my first article on my impressions of the productivity gains that I made after buying an iPad.

It’s now over a year since that article appeared, so where do things stand and was my initial reaction correct? 

My needs were to: 

1.      Manage my diary
2.      Manage my contacts
3.      Manage my ToDo lists
4.      Produce documents/spreadsheets/presentations
5.      Send/receive email
6.      Internet Access
7.      Listen to music
8.      Watch films 

I didn’t want a screen that was too small or too big. 

So, in order:

1.      Manage My Diary:

On the whole, a success.  My only gripe is that, now that I synchronise everything through iCloud to Outlook, I can only amend notes on diary items through the iPad.  This may be my problem, but perhaps Apple/Microsoft could look into this. 

2.      Manage My Contacts:

No problems. 

3.      Manage My ToDo Lists:

Minor niggle here: the Apple “Reminders” app doesn’t allow for start dates (as far as I can see).  I switched to a third party app which does this and a lot more besides. 

4.      Produce Documents/Spreadsheets/Presentations:

Tablets aren’t fully functioning PCs, so expecting full Microsoft Office functionality is unreasonable (although I gather that the new Windows Surface will overcome this).  I can produce Word/EXCEL/PowerPoint documents/spreadsheets/presentations, but without much of the functionality that one would find in the full Office version.  I load templates of the documents I need so that I can save them as new files.  Altogether, I’m pleased. 

5.      Send/Receive Email:

No problems here, especially if your email uses an Exchange or IMAP server which enables you to synchronise folders and their contents.  POP3 servers don’t allow this functionality (and my “works” email is POP3…).  However, for sending/receiving, absolutely no complaints. 

6.      Internet Access:

No issues.  As more places “go WiFi”, you don’t to dig into your precious data allowance either!  Social networking apps are plentiful, so I can access LinkedIn, Facebook and my blog. 

7.      Listen To Music:

I use my iPhone (more portable). 

8.      Watch Films:

Only limit is memory.  iTunes only plays MP4 films, so if you have something in WMV, AVI, MP3 or MKV format, you need another app.  I’ve found a great one which plays all the common formats. 

Screen size: perfect.  I've looked at the new iPad "Mini", but it's not for me, despite it's obvious portability.

In my previous article, I considered buying a wireless keyboard for when I had to type long reports.  I bought the Apple keyboard and am very pleased with it (although I find the lack of a “Pg Dn”/”Pg Up” key a nuisance).  It connects seamlessly with my iPad and iPhone. 

I also commented on lack of ability to read/comment on PDF documents.  There’s an app that I’ve since discovered… 

I bought a longer (6’) charging cable and a Griffin Survivor case. It’s pricey, but my expensive iPad is protected from falls up to 6’ onto concrete (I’ve tested it up to 3’) and from rain.  It has a handy fold-out stand that holds the iPad in landscape mode.  The case makes the iPad heavier and thicker (25.5 x 20 x 2.5 cm), but it’s safer. 

The other item I bought was an external battery pack no larger than an iPhone 4 which charges my iPhone up to 3 ½ times or my iPad to about 80%.  This helps on long train or plane journeys where power plugs aren’t available. 

As an experiment, I took the iPad on a 2-week business trip and left my laptop behind.  I did take an external hard disk drive with all my documents (and also backed them up to my Dropbox account), because I knew that I’d have access to various PCs.  I have to say that there were times when I missed my laptop.  Since then, a friend has shown me an app that allows me to remote access my laptop wherever I am provided that the laptop is on. 

So…:

·         No regrets about investing in a tablet. 
·         There are free and paid apps out there which meet almost every need; these will continue to increase. 
·         For “heavy duty” work, the laptop is still needed, but if you have access to a desktop/laptop and all your files on memory stick, external HDD or Dropbox, you can still function. 

 

I have spent more than half my life delivering change in different world markets from the most developed to “emerging” economies. With more than 20 years in the world financial services industry running different service, operations and lending businesses, I started my own Performance Management Consultancy and work with individuals, small businesses, charities, quoted companies and academic institutions across the world. An international speaker, trainer, author and fund-raiser, I can be contacted by email . My website provides a full picture of my portfolio of services.  For strategic questions that you should be asking yourself, follow me at @wkm610.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home