Monday 26 August 2013

Getting It Right For Customers

It's easy to put small touches to a product or service that make you stand out from "the rest". Some find this comes easily, others take longer to understand what this may mean for them. 

Recently, I went to buy a cordless telephone for my ageing parents-in-law. The idea was that they wouldn't have to get up and go to the phone, but instead that they would have a cordless handset with them in the house, wherever they were. The store I went to was one of the larger department stores and had a "reasonable" selection of phones.  

I was thinking of getting a set of three to four phones (one "base" unit and two-three extra "remote" handset) that could be positioned conveniently around the house so that there was always a phone nearby. This was where the problems started. The store only sold in sets of two (base and remote handset), so really, I needed to buy two sets of two phones if I was to get the four that I wanted.  I decided that this was acceptable on the basis that if I REALLY needed four, I could buy an extra two. The sales assistant showed me the contents of the box which included the power cables for the charging bases for the handsets. On closer examination, I saw that the plugs on the chargers had the European two-pin configuration, whereas for the country in which my in-laws live, the standard plug is a UK three square-pin configuration.  

In other words, the store was selling something which was unfit for purpose. The assistant showed me where to buy an adaptor (at extra cost) that would solve my problem, but seemed mystified when I pointed out that the store was selling something that was clearly unsuitable for the current environment.  Yes, the store would kindly sell an adaptor, but my question was, would it be so difficult to specify to the supplier that the charging units should be supplied with the correct plug?  Otherwise, what about including a suitable adaptor as part of the deal? 

This made me think about what I could and should be doing to ensure that I provide those extra little "touches" that make a real difference to my customers. It seems that in some markets, the "almost-but-not-quite-there" approach is acceptable, but how much extra effort would it REALLY take to provide that little bit extra that distinguishes you from"the rest"?  I've heard people saying "We're no worse than anyone else." as if to justify a substandard product or service. In this age of choice and consumer ability to expose you on the Internet, there's little room for such complacency.  

You need to remember is that it's often the LITTLE THINGS that count (like the example above with the plugs).  They take little time and often cost little or no effort, but show that you're putting yourself in your customers' shoes and understand what matters to them. Examples could be: 

·         Greeting them when they enter your premises;
·         Addressing them by name;
·         Keeping your promises (e.g. if you say you'll call back, make sure you do);
·         Fixing any blemishes on a product you're selling (even if its the last one);
·         Including something small (to you) free in the price (think about the adapters above);
·         Having a "No questions asked" returns policy;
·         Tidying up after you leave. 

In the modern age of "packaged" or "commoditised" services and products, many people have little room for "individual" touches ("they're too expensive and don't make money!"). however, if someone feels that you're treating them just that but differently and that you care, the profits will speak for themselves.  

 

I have spent more than half my life delivering change in different world markets from the most developed to “emerging” economies. With more than 20 years in the world financial services industry running different service, operations and lending businesses, I started my own Performance Management Consultancy to offer solutions for improving performance, productivity and risk management.  I work with individuals, small businesses, charities, quoted companies and academic institutions across the world. An international speaker, trainer, author and fund-raiser, I can be contacted by email . My website provides a full picture of my portfolio of services.  For strategic questions that you should be asking yourself, follow me at @wkm610.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home