Wednesday 28 February 2018

"Clients Do Not Come First"

The full quote is “Clients do not come first.  Employees come first.  If you take care of our employees, they will take care of the clients”.

If you’re interested, this comes from Sir Richard Branson, founder of the Virgin Group and one of the UK’s best-known entrepreneurs.

Sir Richard makes a good point: if we look after our people, they will look after our customers.  During my time as a consultant working with other businesses, I’ve had the privilege of working with leaders who can best be described as “inspiring” – their staff would literally walk through walls for them, and it shows in the way they deal with customers and with each other.  There’s no case of “Us and Them” (“us” being the workforce and “them” being faceless management) but more “our business and we’re proud of it”. 

If I find that I’m not getting the best out of someone, I first have to ask the most difficult question, “Am I the problem?”  I have yet to encounter (with rare exceptions) people who come into work deliberately intending to sabotage everyone else’s efforts.  If the poor performance isn't typical of them, something’s wrong and it’s up to us to sort it out. 

There’s a lot of literature (and consultancy service) out there to show organisations how to “engage” their employees.  The mistake many make is in thinking that only money motivates people, or that by providing a brightly-decorated workspace, everyone will be happy.  These – amongst other factors - go some way to creating the “right” atmosphere (no one wants to work for free in a dingy office, after all), they key is how we treat others.

If customers are treated well because the people looking after them are treated well, they’ll come back for more (who wouldn’t?).  Instead of looking for “quick fixes” (money, benefits, for example), we need to look at how we treat our people.


I have spent more than half my life delivering change in different world markets from the most developed to “emerging” economies. With more than 20 years in international financial services around the world  running different operations and lending businesses, I started my own Consultancy to provide solutions for improving performance, productivity and risk management.  I work with individuals, small businesses, charities, quoted companies and academic institutions across the world. An international speaker, trainer, author and fund-raiser, I can be contacted by email . My website provides a full picture of my portfolio of services.  For strategic questions that you should be asking yourself, follow me at @wkm610.


Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home