Tuesday 20 March 2018

"Subscribers" or "Customers"?

I was recently talking to the CEO of a mobile communications company when he made an interesting observation about how one of his competitors described those who used their services.  The competitor referred to them as “subscribers” whilst the company with whose CEO I was speaking described his users as “Customers”.

A small difference, but it got me thinking: do the words we use to describe those who use our product or service reflect how we see them?  Do they affect our employees’ performance or attitude on a subconscious level? 

In the UK, Southwest Trains now refers to “customers”, not “passengers”.  How many other examples can you think of where a company you’ve known for a long time changes the way it describes the people who buy its product or service?

One of my pet peeves is “Human Resources”, the word used to describe those who work for an organisation as well as the function responsible for their general well-being.  It came in during the late 80s and has stuck ever since, although some organisations now describe their employees as “partners” or in other terms that illustrate either their attitude of what those employees are or what they would like them to aspire to think of themselves.  In a recent post I mentioned Sir Richard Branson’s attitude to looking after his people as this led to them looking after customers as a result.  If someone feels valued, they’ll go the extra mile and it shows in the service. 

The power of words is unappreciated, and yet we use them every day to encourage people to achieve things, support a project or vote in a certain way.  The basic underlying emotional appeal of a word is what drives actions.

Do our words reflect the attitude we want to show to others?  If not, maybe it’s time to change.




I have spent more than half my life delivering change in different world markets from the most developed to “emerging” economies. With more than 20 years in international financial services around the world  running different operations and lending businesses, I started my own Consultancy to provide solutions for improving performance, productivity and risk management.  I work with individuals, small businesses, charities, quoted companies and academic institutions across the world. An international speaker, trainer, author and fund-raiser, I can be contacted by email . My website provides a full picture of my portfolio of services.  For strategic questions that you should be asking yourself, follow me at @wkm610.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home