Tuesday 20 February 2024

Communication Remains Key

We’re all guilty of it.  Sometimes what seems extremely clear to us may not be to those with whom we are speaking. 

Our problem as humans is that we naturally tend to see things from our point of view, and to understand them from our cultural or corporate perspective. We tend to forget that there are others who may not “speak the same language” as we do. 

 

As global communications expand and we find ourselves dealing more and more with strangers overseas, we need to make sure that what we say is understandable to them and that equally we’ve understood them properly.  It’s a simple case of putting ourselves in their shoes: would I understand this if I were in their shoes, several thousand miles away?

 

Language is part of the issue.  Some may not have as firm, a command of “our” language as others. At other times, it may simply be a case of using “jargon” which may be familiar to the user in their surroundings but is not to the reader of their message halfway across the world.

 

In my post Communicate in ‘Clear’, I gave an example of this with someone using terminology with which I was not familiar.

 

Success in leadership and business is down to being able to communicate with others in a way that they understand.  We’re all guilty of using “our” language.  We need to make sure that when appropriate we use “their” language.



I’ve spent more than half my life delivering change in different world markets from the most developed to “emerging” economies. With a wealth of international experience in international financial services around the world running different operations and lending businesses, I started my own Consultancy to provide solutions for improving performance, productivity and risk management.  I work with individuals, small businesses, charities, quoted companies and academic institutions across the world. An international speaker, trainer, author and fund-raiser, I can be contacted by email. My website  provides a full picture of my portfolio of services.  

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home