Tuesday 17 April 2018

Keep your Customer Credibility

In any business, there’s a product or service that someone wants to sell, and a customer who wants to buy it.  The trick is to understand when someone wants your product/service or whether you should walk away.

I had an interesting experience recently which taught me about my naivete as well as that some people can't take a hint.  Someone reached out to me on LinkedIn asking to be on my contact list.  He was the CEO of an organisation that I’d heard of (having worked in that country – information which was on my LinkedIn profile) and I was flattered that he should want to link in.

I accepted and within 24 hours received a message offering me an “Investment Opportunity” in the country concerned.  Given the status of the sender, I politely declined the offer, thinking that would be the end of it.

I received another message, this time asking me for my email address to which more information could be sent.  At this point I removed the person from my contacts list and blocked him, worried that he might reach out to others on my network with the same offer.

We only have one chance to make an impression.    We’re taught in “Sales School” that we have to be persistent but if someone says “no”, it’s time to withdraw gracefully.  If we fail to spot the signs, we risk losing another (better) opportunity in the future with that customer, or the chance that they will recommend us to someone else who may need what we have even more.  

Selling is a tough game at the best of times.  Everyone’s style is different and I continue to learn both by my mistakes and those of others who approach me.  My mantra has always been to approach others as I would wish to be approached.


I have spent more than half my life delivering change in different world markets from the most developed to “emerging” economies. With more than 20 years in international financial services around the world  running different operations and lending businesses, I started my own Consultancy to provide solutions for improving performance, productivity and risk management.  I work with individuals, small businesses, charities, quoted companies and academic institutions across the world. An international speaker, trainer, author and fund-raiser, I can be contacted by email. My websiteprovides a full picture of my portfolio of services.  For strategic questions that you should be asking yourself, follow me at @wkm610.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home