Wednesday 14 September 2016

It's The Little Things That Count

In our quest for profitability, we often risk losing sight of the fact that goodwill can cost very little, but brings huge rewards in terms of repeat business, customer willingness to overlook mistakes, or to make allowances in other matters.

I was recently a guest speaker at a 3-day event for an institution where I delivered workshops on three different subjects.  These seemed to go down well, judging from the audience participation, questions and comments during and after the workshops.

As I left on the final day, I saw some of the institution’s golf umbrellas and asked if I could have one.  I was told certainly - provided you pay…  The price wasn’t high, and normally I wouldn't have minded, but I had just given this institution 1-½ days of my time free of charge and they wouldn't give me a cheap golf umbrella as a thank-you?  What they were selling them for was probably more than what they’d paid for them, so it wouldn't have been a huge dent in their budget. 

This isn't a major issue in the grand scheme of things, but it showed that the person to whom I spoke didn't seem to appreciate the difference that it would make in terms of goodwill (I had shown goodwill by giving my time free of charge on this occasion as part of a larger contract).   

Some will be saying that I got upset over nothing, but that’s often the way goodwill or customer experience work.  What may seem to be trivial to you may mean a lot to the other side, and the skill is in understanding that.  That’s what skilful negotiators understand.  They know what they can give way on without causing massive harm to their own cause.

To make things more interesting, the institution concerned were late in paying for previous work done and came up with a number of bureaucratic excuses based on requirements that were never communicated in the first place (despite my asking for them).

In all, I learnt several valuable lessons:
  • Take nothing for granted;
  • Clarify, clarify, and clarify again;
  • Make sure you understand how your payer works;
  • Little details matter (on both sides).

It’s the little things that count.  That extra bit of service may mean that, when you make a huge mistake, the customer is till willing to forgive you.



I have spent more than half my life delivering change in different world markets from the most developed to “emerging” economies. With more than 20 years in international financial services around the world  running different operations and lending businesses, I started my own Consultancy to offer solutions for improving performance, productivity and risk management.  I work with individuals, small businesses, charities, quoted companies and academic institutions across the world. An international speaker, trainer, author and fund-raiser, I can be contacted by email . My website provides a full picture of my portfolio of services.  For strategic questions that you should be asking yourself, follow me at @wkm610.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home